FOLLOWING YOUR BAKING PASSION

GOOD MORNING BAKERS & FUTURE BAKERS!

Today I would like to take you on a journey through my baking career, which eventually led me to start a business.  It really doesn't matter where, how or when you start.  What matters is that you make a decision and are motivated to take it as far as you want.  I learned to bake early, experimented along the way and started the business later in life. 

Yes.  I am old.  

Okay, I am a "seasoned" baker, whatever that means.  I grew up in the era when junior high schools taught wood/metal shop to guys and home economics to gals.  I must say I am glad I learned how to sew zippers and hem garments as well as prep and cook an artichoke and bake yeast breads and cakes.  The classes were practical, yet fun!  However, it was the bread and cake baking that I really enjoyed and wanted to keep doing.  And the bonus?  At the end of the baking semester we shared our bread baking successes with the guys in shop class.  (Made it less awkward when we had dance classes later.)  

 If you take a peak at my website (small plug) I write a bit more about my passion for baking.  But, I didn't really consider a baking career after high school and went to college to earn a bachelor's degree in Business Economics. (Not much baking there.) However, I did help pay my way through school by working in the dining commons in all areas of food prep, service and management.  I did a stint in the bakery (loved that) and worked up to student shift manager by my senior year.

After college it was married life, Navy military service, mortgage lending jobs, raising a family and some years in state service as an internal review auditor.  In 2007, I decided to take culinary classes at a local junior college, while working full time.  Five years later, in March 2012, I started Patrice's Cakes and Confections, PCC, a made-to-order baking and small dessert catering business.

From my first (and only) photo shoot.
(Yes, I do wear food gloves when handling/wrapping caramels!)

Every caramel is hand cut and individually wrapped.

Early version of an awesome Carrot Cake.


In future posts, I will share with you how I started my baking business, and how you can start yours too!  I have reviewed other blogs and websites, some of which I will link to, that provide methodical and practical approaches to starting a home-based baking business.  My process was not so different.  What is different is that I didn't always do it in the "correct" order or plan for the many curve balls starting a business can throw one's way.  What I am sharing are my experiences, planning processes, mistakes and course corrections, which I hope will be a reality check for you as much as it was for me.  We can all learn from one another's experiences:  good, bad, funny and hysterical!  My goal is to provide you a realistic picture of starting and maintaining a home-based baking business, warts and all!

I  look forward to your comments and hope to answer your questions along the way.

Best regards and Stay Sweet!

Patrice


Comments