MY REALITY CHECK OF OWNING A BAKING BUSINESS

GOOD MORNING, EVERYONE!

Welcome to Wednesday!  As I go through some random thoughts and ideas, I thought I would post my updated, local menu (further below).  As a small baking business owner, I know how much effort it takes to manage a food service operation.  You do get what you put into it!

Let me give you my reality check:

For me, family and life events do take priority over Patrice's Cakes and Confections.  I am a serious business owner; however, life's circumstances often dictate the time and energy I use to promote the business.  For the most part my business can be construed as "seasonal".  I produce and sell the majority of my bakery items throughout the fall and winter holidays.  I do have a few customers who order caramels, cakes, fruit tarts and/or sweet loaf breads throughout the year, which keeps me in the kitchen!  YAY CUSTOMERS!!!

FRUIT TART-ALMOND FRANGIPAGNE

GLAZED LEMON LOAF

NEAPOLITAN CAKE
I love finding and baking new recipes and sometimes modify select items to incorporate into my menu offerings.  Due to limitations with my business menu, I cannot offer products with raw eggs (Swiss and Italian Meringue buttercreams), cream (eg. Pastry cream fillings) or cream cheese (yes, the New York cheesecake!).  These restrictions, among others, are a part of the California Cottage Food industry for my licensing requirements as a home baker.  However, I do offer many other baked goods, which meet my permit class.

PATRICE'S CAKES AND CONFECTIONS MENU

And just in case you are wondering, I make my own brochures/menus (Publisher), prepare my own books (Quickbooks) and taxes (Turbotax), take inventory, cost out each product, shop for ingredients, bake, package and label EVERYTHING! 😁

Well, I have certainly enjoyed this little chat today!  I hope you check in often.  I have several ideas to share, some of which you may enjoy if you are thinking about starting your own baking business.  I do know about and have read several blogs and websites about how to start a home-based baking business.  My input may not be new or relevant to your plans.  However, if I can provide a bit of insight or share a business "goof" or baking experience gone wrong. . . or right, you just may benefit from my expertise and add the info to your own bag of baking tricks and tips.

Have a very blessed and beautiful baking day!

PATRICE





Comments